Saturday 28 January 2012

May the force be with you!


"Don't you call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease!"
―C-3PO to R2-D2
 

So last year I was contacted by a lovely mother wanting to get a cake made for her son's 5th birthday. The brief was Star Wars. I was a little bit shocking that a 5 year old would know about Star War, but was quickly informed of an animated series that all the kids watch.

Well I can't claim to be a a Star Wars fanatic, so started research on the web. Looking at iconic characters, spaceships etc that could be recreated in cake. I managed to get a few together and after discussing the options with the client. She decided on R2-D2.

By far the easiest of the cakes to make as it was primairily the just a cylindrical cake with a dome on top. The only thing that I really had to figure out was how to make the legs/arms and lift it off the board. I ended up using a RKT (Rice Krispie Treat) for the arms and a small dummy cake to lift the cake off the board.






I was pretty pleased with the end result and more importantly Sam absolutely loved the cake.
"What?! Go on adventures? Explore the galaxy? You must be short-circuiting again! We are droids, after all… Nothing exciting ever happens to us!"
―C-3PO to R2-D2

No comments:

Post a Comment