Saturday 28 January 2012

Doughy Goodness

So the other day I was out shopping and got myself the very talented Edd Kimber's "The Boy Who Bakes". I have been meaning to get it for some time but haven't even been shopping let alone baking. However, as I stood flicking through the book waiting to pay, I came across the picture of soft, lightly golden doughnuts sat on a marble worktop tossed in powdered sugar. Love at first sight doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. Instantly, I knew this was going to be the first recipe I made from this book.

For some time now I have been craving homemade doughnuts. bringing back memories of my mother frying up that delicious sweet doughy goodness. She couldn't find the recipe she used but nevertheless with the Internet these days you don't need old recipes there is an abundance of new ones for you to find and perfect. As I hadn't got around to looking yet, this was the perfect opportunity to try the books recipes and of course "taste test".

So later that day....much later, Me and the other-half sat watching TV start to crave something sweet. Now with both of us trying to be good there wasn't much in the cupboards. With the doughnuts still very much in the front of my mind, I casually mentioned that there was a doughnut recipe in the book that we could try. Even before he had finished saying the words "sounds good", I had swiped the book off the coffee table and run into the kitchen to see if I had all the ingredients needed.

YES, things were looking good, as I skimmed through the recipe I realised I had to leave it to chill the fridge for an hour. One whole Hour! Seeing as it was 11pm, I looked defeated at the OH, we couldn't possibly make these at this time.... Could we? "Hell YES!" was his answer, I knew there was a reason I married him.
So there I was, at 11 measuring out all the dry ingredients into a bowl.


Measuring out all the wet ingredients into a jug ready to whisk up.


Combining the two together.


And then came the painstaking task of waiting for the dough to chill for an hour. We managed to wait it out and so it began. Now Edd did tell us to dust the work surface liberally, and he means liberally. There was a bit of a mess with a very sticky dough but we were determined to have doughnuts and nothing was going to get in the way. The dough was patted to a nice 1cm (ish) thickness.


I heated up some oil to fry them but as I don't have a deep fat fryer, I knew this wasn't going to be that successful as Edd doesn't recommend frying without one (the temp needs to be at 190°C). We persisted and with exception to a few dark brown (*ahem* burnt) ones we did manage to make our long awaited sugary treats. The dough is still very sticky and soft so getting them to look as perfect as Edd's picture didn't happen, mine were all a little deformed, but that made me love and cherish them all the more. I dipped them all in powdered sugar as when they are warm the sugar slowly turns into a sweet syrupy coating.
Now, when I was little and my mother made doughnuts I remember helping her cut the centres out with Cola bottle tops and my favourite part was eating the doughnut holes. Bite sized cakey deliciousness.They still haven't lost their charm.


Being a bit of a perfectionist (or some might say greedy), I wanted to make them perfectly, so a couple of days later again at a ridiculously late hour in the day I decided to make some more. Things weren't looking good, when to my horror I had no eggs. So I sent the OH off to go and find some (late on a Friday evening), thankfully he loves me enough to do just that.
I remembered to dust the work surface liberally got my thermometer to make sure the oil was at the right temperature constantly and was thoroughly pleased with the results, and so off I floated into my sugar induced coma for the second time that week.


You have to admit those doughnut holes look so good.....

So here is the recipe:

Doughnuts

Makes: about 10 (but I manged a few more and lots of doughnut holes) 

Ingredients: 

350g Plain flour, plus extra for dusting

150g Caster sugar


1 tbs Baking powder

1/2 tsp Salt

240ml Buttermilk

1 egg + 2 egg yolks

50ml Vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

Oil for deep-frying

Sugar for coating

Method:

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in your wet  mixture, mix together until evenly combined. The dough is very sticky at this stage. Cover with clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.

Dust the work surface LIBERALLY with flour and with floured hands, spatula, basically everything scrape out the dough onto the work surface. Pat into 1cm in thickness. Cut out the doughnuts using 2 round cookie cutters or as my mother did a glass and bottle top. Do not discard the doughnut holes.

Heat your oil to 190°C (this really is a must, in order to avoid undercooked and oily doughnuts). Fry 2 or 3 at a time until they are golden brown on both sides, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

Roll them in sugar and enjoy warm or at room temp or if your like me slightly scalding because you can't wait for them to cool. 





If you want to find out more about the man himself and some of his other recipes check out http://theboywhobakes.co.uk and I would highly recommend getting his book. Can't wait to try more recipes. I already have my eye on the popcorn flavoured ice cream, nom nom!


Well there it is, I hope you enjoy and happy baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment